China based tech giant Huawei is pushing ahead the launch of its new Mate 30 smartphones. The Mate 30 smartphones that will be launching, will not have the official Android operating system of Google and by extension the popular apps like Maps, Search and YouTube. Reports say that the Mate 30 cannot be sold with licensed Google apps and services due to the US ban on sales to Huawei.
US President Donald Trump had effectively blacklisted the company in May, 2019 while claiming that it posed a threat to the US national security. A temporary reprieve on the ban last week but a spokesperson from Google said that this does not apply to the new products including the Mate 30. There were more than 130 applications that were made from the US companies to sell goods to Huawei, but none of them were granted.
Still Huawei could technically use Android as it an open source software and the company would need a special agreement with Google to include its official apps including the Play Store that gives the users access to other popular apps. The search engine giant has not said if it has applied for a license to offer its apps to Huawei. The upcoming Mate 30 line is all set to be unveiled on September 18, 2019 but it is not clear if the device will go on sale or not.
Technically Huawei has a very narrow window to rectify the issue that could potentially cost it an enormous amount. But the Chinese based company seems to be determined and it has set up a website where it addresses the consumers and said in a statement, “Huawei will continue to use the Android OS and ecosystem if the US government allows us to do so. Otherwise, we will continue to develop our own operating system and ecosystem.” Earlier this month, Huawei announced its own operating system known as Harmony. But many are still unconvinced that it would not be able to be a good alternative to Android.
Photo Credits: Pocket Lint