Everything about Apple’s new iOS 8 – launch date, features, how to download.
The new iOS 8 by Apple was launched on September 17, 2014, two days before the iPhone 6 goes on sale in stores – September 19, 2014. Apple first unveiled the iOS 8 in June at its WWDC 2014, where it first showed off the features of the new OS. The new software began rolling out on September 17, 2014 at 10:00 am Pacific Time.
Apple released a list of devices that will be able to run the new iOS 8.
Check here if your device makes the cut:
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 5S
- iPhone 5C
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 4S
- iPad 2
- iPad 3rd generation
- iPad 4th generation
- iPad Air
- iPad Mini
- iPad mini with Retina display
- iPod Touch 5th generation
Apple had promised some great features with the iOS 8. Here are some of the main features:
- The new photo app will include a new search feature to find photos more easily and new editing tools.
- The new iMessage allows users to have group conversations and send voice notes and videos instantly.
- Apple has made a few design changes to iOS 8 that make it look better.
- The first ever predictive text keyboard by Apple learns how you type and offers suggestions. Apple also includes support for third-party keyboard apps like SwiftKey.
- The Health App is perhaps the most important feature that is brought into the iOS 8. The app monitors your daily health and gives you feedback on how to improve. If you like, you may directly share some information about your health with your doctor.
- With the iOS 8, all your iDevices will be better synced and more integrated with the iOS X Yosemite (For Mac desktops).
To download the iOS 8 update over the air, your iDevice must have 6 GB of free space. Also, users must have their devices updated to the 7.1.2 version to receive the iOS 8 update. Make sure to backup your data on the computer or through iCloud before you go ahead with the update.
It is almost impossible to get back to iOS 7 once you have downloaded iOS 8, so make sure you are sure before you take the iOS 8 plunge.